Saturday, March 5, 2011

A New Old Begining


I'm started this blog so that maybe I inspire one other person to enjoy getting fit and being healthier mentally, spiritually, and physically. I strongly feel that fitness and health should be a lifestyle, and a lifestyle should make you happy, so I don't want anyone to do anything that makes them miserable!

So, follow me on my journey to my lighter self. I'll share with you tips and resources on life, happiness, beauty, health, diet, and my own struggles and triumphs. I hope that you'll be inspired to make just one small positive change, and in my own experiences I've found that this leads to more and more positive changes. A better today for a better tomorrow!!

One Love,
Laura!!

"the difference between try and triumph is just a little umph." -Marvin Phillips


I'm including a brief history of my journey so that you'll understand more where I'm coming from. This is my personal story, please feel free to share your own story with me as well!!

>>>>>

Lets back up about 6 years ago, to put it simply I was unhealthy, eating fast food almost everyday, working in an office, and coming home to sit on my couch in front of the TV. Naturally, I was depressed and ready for something big to shake up my world. That was when I met a friend of mine who introduced me to a vegetarian diet. I had experimented with a meat-free diet in high school, and it was something I had always been interested in. His words and lifestyle inspired me, and I was ready to make some big changes. In the next year I would stop eating meat, clean out my diet of high fructose corn syrup, MSG, sugar based treats, and preservatives. Another addition to my life was practicing yoga. Yes, I'm one of those, "yoga changed my life people", and indeed it did. I also joined a gym and after two years had went from 134lbs to 105lbs (I'm 5'1'' so this is an appropriate weight for me). Fast forward to falling head over heels for my current BD, living in Mexico for 3 months, getting pregnant, and consequently packing on the pounds again. Hormones, chronic morning sickness, exhaustion and going to school full-time, and at full term I weighed an incredible 174lb. I hoped I would have a 50lb baby!! On March 13th, 2010 my boyfriend and I became parents to a gorgeous healthy baby girl. We had an all natural waterbirth, and let me tell you my yoga breathing was a lifesaver (it'll change your life!!! haha). However, I left the hospital a depressing 154lbs. OUCH!! Everyone always tells you that with breastfeeding you lose weight quickly, but I didn't.. maybe it was the hormones, maybe it was eating too much, honestly I can't tell you, but 9 months after my daughter was born I had only lost 10lbs. I see all my FB friends and these celebrities lose weight like nothing but not me.

I suppose I could be depressed and frustrated, but I'm deciding to turn to my lighter side!! I'm back to enjoying a mostly vegetarian diet, and practicing yoga 3+ times a week. I also enjoy counting calories on MyFitnessPal app for my smart phone, so this is helping me keep track of my daily intake and output of calories. However, I will share more about this and other things in future posts.

This post is only an introduction so I'll save the rest of my story and ideas as I go along. I can tell you that next week is my daughter's first birthday, and I haven't weighed myself in over a month (I'm okay with this, I'm more about holistic changes than focusing on one number), but I'm see changes in my body and am dropping dress sizes quickly. I also feel really great about the hard work I'm doing, and hope that you'll see that you can get in shape and feel great inside and out!!

** Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, doctor, or fitness instructor. I'm just a regular person working to make my life and my daughter's future better. I hope that you'll be honest with yourself and not do anything that doesn't sit well with you. I also recommend consulting a physician before starting any exercise routine.. you know.. blah, blah, blah

No comments:

Post a Comment